Saturday, December 9, 2006

Is this not heartfelt enough

Repost from Lim Kit Siang's blog, based on an email he received.
http://blog.limkitsiang.com/?p=863#more-863

Having lived abroad for almost two years, I have been always proud of my home country, Malaysia. The moment someone knows that you are from Malaysia, the immediate response would be ‘it’s a great country what are you doing here’.
My usual response would be, just to gain experience or for exposure.
But deep, down inside my heart, I never wanted to leave my home, my family, childhood friends, the mamak stall the every single thing that we Malaysians uniquely enjoy It never hit me that after 49 years of independence we are still not ‘Malaysians’. If you are not a Bumiputra then, you are Indian, or Chinese with a Malaysian Passport.
We don’t want to admit, or rather the leaders who supposedly are a role model to the public, fail to acknowledge the fact that the layman on the street are beginning to look at each other as strangers. This is the direct result of the so called role models, who are busy fanning who’s the Boss syndrome.
Everyone wants to be in control, The Prime Minister had to publicly declare that he is in control, is he in control? , only time will tell.
The situation gets worsen day by day. Young leaders, armed with nothing but sheer arrogance are instilling fear for respect and applause. Political parties fail to address the issue; the ‘YES SIR’ attitude and fear of losing popularity are stopping them even to ask questions. The opposition cries and wails but, who is hearing them, Big Brother is watching everything we speak, write, hear or act.
What options do we have? Vote for the opposition? Will it change the whole scenario? The opposition in Malaysia has never been tested, though they have been fire fighting all this while. Will they be able to bring change or will it be the same situation again.
Only time will tell. I don’t want to be known as an Indian Malaysian, I want to be known as a Malaysian. I want my children to be judged based on their academic performances, not by quota, my business to flourish because of my hard work and not because of my connections, to be able to read, write and speak my mind and not be restricted, to be able to buy a property because I can afford it, to be given equal opportunity to work and be judged based on my talents and capabilities.
Is it too much to ask?

No comments: