Saturday, December 23, 2006

Sentenced to Jail for 16 years, not by the Court



Here, you can go to jail for 16 years ! Without due process of the law. Just because a civil servant thinks you need to go to Jail.
"I was falsely imprisoned in West Malaysia, not by a court of law but because a civil servant in the IRB issued the directive to have my passport impounded on Dec 17, 1981 and refused to hear me out despite my pleas," he said." Here's the full story.
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/National/20061220080538/Article/local1_html


KUALA LUMPUR: For 16 years Ronald Beadle, a British national, has felt that he had been "wrongly imprisoned" in Peninsular Malaysia.The Inland Revenue Department (now Inland Revenue Board) had directed the police and Immigration Department to seize his British passport in 1982. He was alleged to have owed the IRB RM22,778.70 when he left employment as the director of operations of SEA Helicopter Sdn Bhd. However, the employer had deducted RM27,943 from his salary to pay the IRB but failed to remit it.


Beadle (picture) told the High Court yesterday that his problems started when the company’s managing director absconded in 1981 and the company was wound up in 1983.Beadle said he took IRB to court but lost his case in the Sessions Court. He won the appeal in the High Court on Feb 17, 1998 when the judge ruled that he need not pay the amount to the government. The High Court also ruled that the action taken by the defendants in seizing Beadle’s passport was wrong, negligent and a breach of statutory duty.But, Beadle’s predicament did not end there. The Sentul police station, which held Beadle’s passport, misplaced it. Yesterday was the first day of hearing in Beadle’s nearly RM3 million suit against the IRB, the government and Hamzah H.M. Saman, the former director-general of IRD.

Testifying before Judicial Commissioner Datuk Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat, Beadle, 68, at times broke down when he reminisced about the time he was in the country and the treatment he had received."I was falsely imprisoned in West Malaysia, not by a court of law but because a civil servant in the IRB issued the directive to have my passport impounded on Dec 17, 1981 and refused to hear me out despite my pleas," he said.When asked by his counsel, Jeffrey Wong, to describe what he had suffered, he said: "Nothing can ever describe my circumstances, the state of my mind or well-being during the dreadful 5,968 days of false imprisonment. "When my passport was seized by the police, it caused me worry, stress, anxiety, mental anguish, distress and a feeling of helplessness. "On many occasions, the stress became so great that I had to go out and get completely drunk.

"Throughout the 16-year period, he was not able to visit his ailing father, who died in 1993. Beadle came to Malaysia on Sept 9, 1961 when he was with the British army, serving in the Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers, to support the fight against communist insurgents.

Beadle married Malaysian Chan Cheng Wah in 1963 and they have an adopted daughter, Cindy Wai Mun Beadle.He began working with SEA Helicopters in 1972. After the tax-free salary provision ended in 1977, he paid income tax from 1977 until he resigned on Dec 31, 1980."SEA Helicopters deducted my salary to pay the income tax but it failed to remit it to the IRB," he said. "I left SEA Helicopters to help form six companies and I was the managing director of some of them."Beadle became emotional when asked whether he had any intention of leaving the country. "I have a Malaysian wife and an adopted Malaysian daughter. I applied for permanent resident status as it was my intention to retire in Malaysia as my family is here. "I would love to come back to Malaysia and stay here permanently." This country is my home. I have spent more than half of my life here. "If my British passport had not been taken by the Malaysian police, I could have gone to western Europe or the United States to work and support my family in Malaysia," he said. Following the 1998 High Court decision, Beadle obtained a European Union passport and left Malaysia. Beadle is seeking RM2.9 million for loss of income, as well as general and exemplary damages and other relief deemed fit by the court.

Senior Federal Counsel Maheran Mohd Isa is representing the defendants.

To Mr. Beadle,
My most sincere and heatfelt sympathies to you and your family. It is my fervent hope that you will receive a favourable decision of what is rightfully yours.
It has been too long now that this country has been run by bigots who have no qualms to dishing out inhumane treatments to his fellow countrymen. Not to mention foreigners.

We would like to express our gratitude for your service in the Military and the Emergency.
Undoubtedly, the defendants have denied the claims. It will be interesting to see whether the Rule of Law still exist in this country.
To those self-serving, holier-than-thou bigots. I hope you have an eternity in hell to reflect.

No comments: