Friday, February 2, 2007

What's wrong with the Germans ?

Foreign immigration more than just rude
The Saint

Feb 2, 07 3:43pm

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/62915

I refer to the letter Thrill of first visit to M’sia dampened by Brad Shepherd on his encounter with rude Malaysian immigration officers. But really, it seems to be the same anywhere you go in this world with people in uniform.

I certainly empathise with this fellow from Australia and as it is, there have been letters written by Asians being treated without respect in many ‘white’ countries. At least, after he passed the very unfriendly immigration officer, I am sure Brad would have had a nice time in Malaysia without anyone using racist words or names unlike when we visit his dear Australia. It is so difficult to go a day in Australia without being hurled racist abuse from Brad’s dear countrymen.

I travel to Europe a lot and have encountered just too many lazy immigration officers like in Britain. Add to this racist immigration and police in the rest of Europe. In Germany, I was slapped by a German police officer just because I looked Turkish or Algerian. And I was told that if I reported the matter, I would be in deeper trouble. All this just to go for a holiday.

Leaving Germany was not easy either. After my holiday, Malaysians flying their own airline back were told to practically strip while whites were given warm and friendly smiles without their cameras and film being removed and personal belongings thoroughly checked. All my holiday photos were re-formatted by the German immigration officers.

I agree that our Malaysian immigration officers need to be trained well, especially those at the Singapore’s causeway. But at least here tourists don’t get racially insulted.

No comments: